Monday, January 18, 2010

My favorite iPod touch/iPhone games...

After many hours of research and over a year with my iPod touch I've come to a somewhat definitive list of my 10 favorite iPod/iPhone games. You will notice in my list that I favor the puzzle/strategy games heavily so if thats your style maybe you'll want to check these out: (in no particular order and listed with the current price)

Angry Birds - $.99

This one has been one of my more recent favorites. While the premise of this game is rather strange it is still rather entertaining. The whole point is to launch birds to try and kill pigs. I know weird. I like it though. The graphics are kind of funny too...

Implode! - $1.99
This game is very very simple but still rather addicting. The point of the game is to try and make a building collapse to a certain height by strategically placing dynamite throughout it. It seems a little basic but its enough to keep you entertained for a bit.

Lux DLX - $4.99

Ever wanted to play a game of Risk that doesn't end after 8 hours when one person gets upset and gives up, ruining it for the other players? Me too. Lux DLX is perfect for you. This is one of my oldest and most favorite of the bunch. If you are only interested in the most basic play there is a free version of this game called "Lux Touch" which is also very good. I am a big fan of the paid version however because it allows for multiple players, additional maps and a lot more customized options. Definitely worth a look at if you are a fan of the classic Risk board game.

Catan $4.99
Another board game turned iPod touch style with the game of Settlers of Catan. I was rather impressed with the implementation of this game, it works rather well and it always leads to an interesting game. My only complaint is that it can tend to take a while to get through a game, that said it still is a heck of a lot quicker than pulling out the full board game. Once again if you like the board game Settlers of Catan you will have fun with this one.

Jelly Car/Jelly Car 2 - Free/$.99
I'm grouping these two games in the same vein because the games are nearly identical with the exception of a few new features in the latter. The whole point of this game is to drive your car through obstacles to reach an end point. What makes it exciting is the physics of the world. The jelly objects give you some bounce and some give which makes it a little more challenging. It's totally worth it to at least try the free version (which it wasn't when I originally downloaded) and then decide if you want to throw down the dollar to get the sequel.

Finger Physics - $.99

Another dollar app that will give you a pretty good deal for the content. This one is filled with a variety of puzzles with varying degrees of difficulty from getting an egg into a basket (like pictured above) to building an underwater structure. It does provide for some entertainment at least for a little while.

Crazy Machines - $2.99

I vaguely remember this or a similar game being available years ago on my computer growing up. So perhaps it is just nostalgia that drew me to this game but I rather enjoyed it. It has been quite a while that there have been updates to the game and having finished all the levels I haven't played it for a while.

Geared - $2.99

Another rather simple puzzle game that can be a bit addicting. This isn't the type of game that will remain fun forever, but it does provide some entertainment initially. The levels can be challenging though often times they are more annoying trying to get the gears to align just right. Not my very favorite, but it's definitely not the worst game out there either.

and finally...

Fantastic Contraption - $4.99
The last of my games is a pretty good one. It takes some creativity to figure out how to build a machine that will transport a pink box into its final resting place. I love this one because there isn't a "right" answer there is simply a problem and however you are able to solve it is a good enough answer. Bonus points are given for not using any moving parts or having the pink box stay in the end point. While I've had this game for a while I still enjoy it (though I definitely would play it more if there were some updates). If you like creative puzzle solving (and don't mind spending 5 bucks...) you just might enjoy this game.

Now that I've given my list I want to hear about any other games that you have enjoyed. I am always open to new possibilities (especially with the iTunes gift card I got for christmas). So, what games are your favorites?

3 comments:

JEsse said...

words with friends. Scrabble!

Sarah said...

The only games I have on my phone are to keep my kids from whining and going crazy when we're in line or at the doctor's office or something. How boring am I? But Katie really loves playing puzzles on my phone :) All of my favorite apps are all about lists. They are beautiful. And boy do I sound boring!! :)

Chelsea Haydock Smith said...

hahahahahahahahahaha! Oh Matt i should have guessed you would write a blog like this!